Although COVID-19 continues to dwindle down, I can’t help but take note of the things that would have helped me to thrive during telehealth sessions. One thing I would have liked is more readily available rapport-building activities. Better late than never, I thought I would compile a list of questions to use with clients.
When I do this activity, usually I tell clients that, since I am a new person, they will naturally have to take their time getting to trust me… so why not start by getting to know each other? Of course, I explain that typically therapists do not share about themselves and that I will always respectfully let them know when I cannot answer a question. We both then take turns answering the questions.
The list below contains questions that are not too personal, and hopefully not triggering, but I know that some therapists keep personal information even closer to the chest than I do. This may not be the right rapport-building activity for them. I also tried to avoid questions that may uncover traumatic experiences… But feel free to omit any questions you feel are no good! That’s why there are so many!
Without further delay… Here they are!
- If you could travel to another city (or state) you’ve never visited, where would you go?
- If you could travel to another country you’ve never visited, where would you go?
- If you had to move to a new city, where would you move?
- If you had to move to a new country, where would you move?
TV and Movies
- What is your favorite tv show?
- What is your least favorite tv show?
- What is the worst tv show you have ever seen?
- What is the worst movie you have ever seen?
- What is one food item/meal that most people seem to like, but you do not?
- What is your favorite snack?
- What is your favorite meal?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- What food do you like, that many people do not?
- Who was your favorite teacher or professor?
- Who has had the most positive impact on your life?
- What is your happiest memory?
- What is your proudest moment?
- What memory makes you laugh most?
- What makes a good friend?
- Who do you look up to?
- If you could trade places with someone for 1 day, who would it be?
- If you could hang out with any celebrity for a day, who would it be?
- lf you could trade jobs with anyone, what job would you take?
- If you could master any skill, what would it be?
- What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?
- If you could be the best at any game or sport, what would it be?
- What is your favorite thing about you?
Thank you for reading and best wishes!
Please let me know what kind of articles you’d like to see in the future! Check me out on Instagram @eagersocialworker for post updates!